Friday, October 4, 2013

We can do it!!!

Just like mothers who do not live with a chronic illness, we mothers who struggle daily with the aches and pains associated with Fibromyalgia still aspire to be the greatest mothers we can be. We fight back our pain in order to give our children the "mother" we think they deserve; the mother that can cook, clean, entertain, heal all boo-boo’s, answer all questions, and do it all with a smile. For ALL women this definition is unrealistic, but it's exceedingly more difficult for us women with Fibromyalgia when we set this standard and don't seem to even come close. With this blog I hope to inspire mothers with Fibromyalgia to embrace a new standard for exceptional parenting. Fibromyalgia does not have to stop us from being the mother's we were always meant to be; it's just making us go about the task differently. Please join me in the journey!!!

2 comments:

  1. Fibromyalgia is really hard to deal with especial if you have other diseases. What do the give you for your Fibromyalgia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people living with Fibromyalgia have a coexisting condition. Many people also have conditions such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Restless Leg Syndrome, Epstein-Barr Virus, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and or Joint Hypermobility Syndrome. This makes treatment very difficult. As we know, there is no cure for Fibromyalgia, so the quest becomes a journey of finding the right combination of medications, exercise, lifestyle changes, and dietary changes necessary to manage your symptoms and enhance your quality of life.

      Many people try medication as a first attack. Taking medications to ease the pain, regulate sleep and improve mood, helps the person get to a state in which they are able to start the process of improving their overall health. This strategy is often very helpful for those individuals who have become bedridden, who have very limited range of motion due to pain, and who have experienced severe depression. But even this stage can be stressful.

      With Fibromyalgia, there is no one size fits all approach to feeling better. Individuals will often try several different medications, and or combinations of different medications before finding what works best for them. That's why advise really educating yourself on the options, their side effects, and their benefits. What may have been horrible for one person may be a "miracle" drug for you. I experienced this with Savella in particular. I had read many negative reports about Savella and the side effects associated with them. I waited years before giving it a try. But once I had cycled through all the other options I decided to give it a try. WOW!!!! is all I can say. Life on Savella is truly wonderful. I function much better on it. I would/ will recommend Savella anytime, simply because of how wonderful it has made me feel.

      With that said, I am one of the many people that have several different conditions in addition to my Firbomyalgia. As such, I take a large cocktail of medications daily. They all work together to create my current level of functioning.

      I hope that this has been helpful to you in some way and I thank you for starting such an important conversation. Please share with us some of your experiences and the medications that have helped you.

      In a later post I will go deeper into some of the medications that I take and that are used for treating Fibromyalgia.

      Delete